Monday, January 16, 2012

Manly vs. Girly

An adjective used to describe me yesterday was 'manly'. It resulted, I'm ashamed to say, in quite the little tirade. And it was over such a silly thing as nail polish.

Now, let me clarify. The only times I have worn makeup was rather begrudgingly at various slumber parties, the last of which was four years ago. Nail polish I have worn, very unhappily as it tends to make my fingers feel goopy, but only once has it been willing - when I was testing out the 'newsprint nails' that were sweeping through the blogosphere a few months ago. I dress myself for comfort rather than style. I'm rather happy with the way I am and I like to think that all attempts to convince me otherwise have failed miserably.

[via pinterest]

I would rather my hands be judged on the work they do rather than what color, shape, or design happens to be embossed on the nails.

[via pinterest]

People pay attention to my lips because of the words that slip past them, not how shiny they are.

[via pinterest]

No one can come to me and say, "Wow, Char, that eyeliner really makes your eyes pop!" If they notice my eyes at all, it's because my eyes did the work on their own.

[via something... forgot where exactly]

And about my clothes, I've heard several rather insulting things, one of the worst being, "You should really start shopping in the girls' section."

[via pinterest]

I don't think badly of you if you wear makeup, and I like listening to girls chattering about their nail polish. I'm just as quick on the draw as the next girl to compliment you on a cute new (or even old) skirt or pair of shoes. 

I'm not manly. I just won't go out of my way to be girly, either.

~Charli Rae |Job 39:19-25|

3 comments:

  1. you need a like button :D the funny thing is i just finished watching a vid on what guys think about modesty. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charli, I don't have time to leave a long comment at the moment, but I was you to know that you are one of the most AWSOME (for some reason autocorrect put caps on that so I won't bother changing it) girls I've had the privilege to talk to. Don't change. Ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I do think nail polish and makeup ARE rather silly, but I don't believe it's right for girls to wear guy's clothes. but it's not right for others to make fun of us. we just have to be who God made us to be!

    Kendra
    ismikendra.org

    ReplyDelete

Comments! They make me melt a little. :)