Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11

I was five years old. Joy and I, the only girls in our co-op classroom, were tired of sitting in our little corner, and when our teachers vanished for some reason, we saw the opportunity and took it. In no time flat we had dominated the room, building a massive (you know, for two five-year-old girls) fort that the boys weren't allowed to go near. After we got bored of flaunting it, we sat inside and told each other stories. We took toys and built up our treasure store. The boys eventually knocked our fort down and we hollered at each other for a while.

Meanwhile, our teachers were in a back room, watching the TV. As we terrorized the boys, our country was being attacked. As our fort fell, so did the World Trade Center. As we yelled and fought, thousands of people were dying.

Any one of them would have gladly been a five-year-old in a co-op classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, char that is soooooo cool it really makes you think about what happened and how those people might have felt. Thanks for sharing. :)

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaannnnddd it's another amazing-written thought-provoking post by Charli. Applause!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really good point... Yeah, I still remember what I was doing. I came out of my bedroom, (lucky homeschool child that I am) and into the living room where my mom was watching the news. I remember looking at her coffee mug and noticing that the coffee was long gone cold and she hardly drank any of it. She was crying. "What's wrong?" I asked her, but she couldn't speak. My dad was at work. I looked at the TV, and saw a big building on fire. I had absolutely no idea what I was looking at, nor did I really know to care... It's an amazing thing to recollect.

    ReplyDelete

Comments! They make me melt a little. :)